Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wine Tasting 1:

I went to my first wine tasting at The Vintage Cellar and I took my roommate along. It was a lot of fun, and I actually found some wine that I liked. But here's the struggle I run into. Often, when I'm at home, my parents will serve me some wine and I'll like the first few sips of it, but after about half a glass I'm fed up. The bitterness starts to overwhelm me and I don't want anymore of it. I'm trying to figure out how to decide  if I would actually like a full glass of what I'm tasting. 
Wine Number 1:
Name: Candoni Prosecco
Variety: Prosecco
Region: Veneto
Country: Italy
Year: Not Vintaged
Price: $15.95
Store Review: Delicate and fruity with a hint of honey. It is crisp and clean in the mouth with a pleasant acidity that leaves behind a delicious and persistent freshness with a dry, well-balanced taste. 
Personal Review: Nice, pleasant and light flavor. Not too sweet, nor exceptionally bitter. I could enjoy a glass alone or with a meal. 
Food pairing: I had this alone, but I think it could have been really nice with a light fish meal. 


Wine Number 2:
Name: Candoni Pinot Gringo
Variety: Pinot Gringo
Region: Friuli 
Country: Italy
Year: Not Vintaged
Price: $10.95
Store Review: Medium-bodied, well-structured and sophisticated. It has a rich, pear-like nose, followed by a crisp acidity and a delicious mouth feel. A delicious accompaniment to fish, seasonal pasta dishes or chicken. It can also stand alone as an aperitif on a hot summer day. 
Personal Review: Slightly more bitter than the prosecco. A bit citrusy, light and pleasant. I would enjoy with a light dinner.
Food pairing: I didn't have this with food, but I would love it with a big plate of pasta. 




Name: Las Rocas Old Vine Garnacha
Variety: Garnacha
Region: San Alejandro
Country: Spain
Year: 2008
Price: $17.95
Wine Critic Review: "The wine shows a deep ruby, almost purple color, with a spicy, rich cranberry bouquet. Its dark cherry flavors are highlighted by excellent structure and depth all supported by elegant oak. Round and full in the mouth, with supple tannins and a fruit-filled finish." - Winemaker Notes
Personal Review: More earthy and spicy than most reds I've tasted. This is a variety of wine I've never had before. Reminds me of cranberries. More savory than sweet. 
Food pairing: I didn't have it with food, and I'm not sure what I'd want this one with. 


Wine Number 4: 
Name: Lyeth Cabernet Sauvignon
Variety: Cabernet
Region: Sonoma County
Country: United States, California
Year: 2010
Price: $12.95
Store Review: A little aggressive in an edgy texture, but for the price, this Cab offers plenty of richness and is a solid value. It's sweet and jammy in cherries, blueberries and cocoa. 
Personal review: Heavier than the gringo. Very rich in flavor. Some sediment at the bottom. 
Food: I didn't have this with food, but I think it would be great with a dessert or with a steak dinner. 

Wine Number 5: 
Name: Alta Luna Phases
Variety: Blended Merlot, Teroldego, and Lagrein
Region: Dolomiti
Country: Italy
Year: 2009
Price: $9.95
Store Review: 40% Teroldego, 30% Lagrein, 30% Merlot aged in small oak barrels for 12 months, then further refined in bottle before release. Deep ruby red dark cherry, plum and blackberry aromas combine with intriguing spicy notes. Rich, concentrated dark fruit character against powerful yet silky tannins and bright acidity. Excellent structure, with a distinctive freshness to the fruit that creates and elegant profile. 
Personal Review: Really good. Very fruity and pleasant. Reminded me of cherries and chocolate. Heavy in flavor, but not unpleasant.
Food pairing: I did not have this with food but its something I'd like to have with dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment